Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What do you value?

What do you value? 

Ironically, the word value has two meanings. Value can mean the worth of a thing in money or purchasing power. Value can also mean your belief or standard, having intrinsic worth.  In our current world of texting, computers, running from one place to another, making more money, buying more things, getting ahead of the next person, basically fast paced everything and everyone, what is your definition of value? When you stop and suddenly look at your life, what do you believe? 

I believe in a good dance party, with songs you can belt at the top of your lungs. I believe in cowboy boots. I believe in farmers. I believe in growing food in a garden.  I believe in free time. I believe in doing what you love, even if that means taking a huge risk. 

I believe in people. I believe we are all in this together. I believe there are many different paths to the end result. I believe the best in people. I believe everyone has something to say, we just need to take the time to listen.  I believe in giving. I believe in greeting people on the street. I believe that children are important, but that we don't listen to the elderly often enough. 

I believe in family, but also that there are many leaves to your family tree.  I believe in traditions. I believe in Santa Claus. I believe in birthday parties. I believe in counting your blessings everyday. I believe in having fun. I believe in laughter. I believe in not taking your life or this world so seriously. I believe in exercising and eating ice cream for breakfast. 

I believe that less is more. I believe that cell phones should be turned off during dinner. I believe in the power of prayer. I believe that change is good.  I believe people should relax and not worry so much. I believe in supporting your troops, but not the war. I believe in loving yourself, including your body, but I have to be reminded of that frequently. 

I believe in love. I believe in kisses and hugs. I believe love will always win and should be our foundation. I believe love and passion should be our highest priority when guiding our decisions. I believe in expressing your love. I believe in living our truth, even if its not popular.

My list could go on and on, as I'm sure anyone could write a similar list of beliefs. The question is, what do you believe or value? Everyday we unconsciously consult our list of values. If you value a good night sleep, then you will be in bed early. If you value helping people, you will volunteer your time. If you value the Earth, then you will recycle. All these values guide our daily lives.

 Which definition of value do you choose daily? To me, the way we live every moment, should add intrinsic value to our lives and the lives of everyone around us. How do you conduct your day? Do your actions reflect your values? 

No comments:

Post a Comment